Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sew, A Neddle Pulling Thread

A few years ago the adults in my family decided to do white elephant gifts instead of real gifts for each other at Christmas. The kids still get real gifts and the adults get to enjoy the less stressful/less expensive side of Christmas. Its really awesome because I have always managed to get really great gifts from people. This year I told my mom that I wanted her old sewing machine as my white elephant gift from her. She was very eager to give it up- I think that it has been over 20 years since she last touched it. She was however very skeptical that it would work.
But she gave it to me anyway and it works like a champ! Here is a picture of my new/old sewing machine:




I had bought pillow forms to make pillow for the boys a couple of months back. I went this week to Joann Fabrics- my new favorite place to spend hours of time- and picked out a fun train pattern for their pillow cases. I watched a few how to sew videos on youtube (you've got to love technology) and viola I present the boys new pillow cases.



The pillowcases are not perfect, but they are relatively rectangular and the boys love them. When I gave them to them they laid down on the floor and pretended to be asleep. Atticus even did some pretend snoring.

The sewing machine also came with an awesome, seventies yellow craft box. Inside the craft box was a rockin pattern for some bell bottom pantsuits- Charlie's Angels style. I think that this may be my next sewing project. :)




And because no posting would be complete without a picture of the boys here they are playing on the steps together. They like to sit on the bottom step and talk with each other.
- Carrie

3 comments:

  1. I loved your Christmas present from your mom and the story to go with it. The pillows are great. You go girl! I have an incomplete sewing project for each of my kids lives. So I think what you have done is great. However, the best part of this post is the boys sitting on the steps talking. Love you guys. Aunt Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done. Can't wait to see the pant suit. make sure you make matching ones for Dan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are so cute cant wait for the next post ps this is madison

    ReplyDelete