Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hunting Island Wednesday and Thursday

Wednesday was our eventful day.  I woke up that morning with a puffy, swollen right eye.  Long story short I had been bitten by something on Sunday near my right eye.  It didn't look bad until we got to the island.  Tuesday it started to grow in size and by Wednesday morning it was big, red and swollen...clearly infected.  Nurses do not make good patients...we are also hard to convince when we need medical care.  Dan persuaded me to look for a prompt care place in Beaufort.  So at 8 am we headed to town to try to fix me.  We got into a traffic jam coming off the island.  I suggested that we turn around, that my eye wasn't that bad.  Thankfully Dan ignored me and drove on.  
He rode around town with the kids while I went to the prompt care. I was able to see someone fairly quickly, which was good.  It was decided that I would have to be numbed up with Lidocaine and the area would have to be lanced and drained, which was not good.  My pain tolerance is minimal, and despite the fact that I stick people with needles without blinking an eye, I do not like to be stuck myself.  So with Dan not there it was time for me to grow up a little.  Thankfully there was this really great nurse that let me hold her hand....but it still hurt pretty bad.  I got some oral antibiotics and we headed back to the island with the right side of my face throbbing.   
Thankfully by the time we made it back to our cabin I was feeling much better.  After the kids took a nap we headed for the beach, so the day was not a total waste.  And once Allison, Dan's sister, arrived the day got a lot better.  Allison lives in Hilton Head, so she was close enough to come visit for a day.  Wednesday night she tried to coach Dan in how to do a squat properly.  His technique needs a little work....


The next morning we went walking on the beach with the kids.  Thursday was a perfect day for the beach.  We put their feet in the ocean for the first time.  They both cried, loudly.  They also did not like the wet sand on their feet.  Over the next few days we got them used to the sand...but they still hated the water.  



Our morning stroll


Allison with Atticus


Isaiah and I looking for shells

After the kids woke up from their morning nap we went to the lighthouse to walk around and scout of the beach near the lighthouse.  We went on a bumpy trail near the lighthouse, that abruptly ended because of the erosion.  Here's Dan and Allison with the kids near the end of the trail.





Family shot in front of the lighthouse

While the kids took an afternoon nap Dan and Allison went up to the top of the Hunting Island Lighthouse.  Dan almost didn't make it to the top...Allison said that he got a little woozy.  They got some great shots of the island once they arrived at the top.


Dan finally remembers that he is awesome and not scared of heights


Allison at the top


The view

Dan at the top

After the kids nap we all went to the beach and set up camp.  Allison and I went out to the beach first and set up the tent.  Then Allison went back to help Dan bring the kids to the beach. 
Atticus and Isaiah really loved being outside, even though they didn't like the water.  One thing that they really enjoyed was their beach tent.  They would each get one of the flaps to the tent and shake the whole tent.   They played in it for a long time while the rest of us enjoyed the beach.  That tent was a lifesaver!  

Isaiah


Atticus


I love the face Atticus is making...

2 comments:

  1. those are some cute kids you have there Missy. Sounds like you had fun. I like how you put a picture of Dan doing a squat but not one of you with a swollen red eye. ;) nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that you say that. Dan made that same comment last night as I was posting...All week Dan tried to get me to pose for a photo or document it on video. It's one part of the vacation I am trying to forget....I didn't want to commemorate it. Plus there are some people that read this blog who have weak stomach's...it would not be a pretty sight.

    ReplyDelete